Skip to main content
Gullen of Ayr (1841)
  1. Shipwrecks/

Gullen of Ayr (1841)

·18 mins·
Shipwrecks Australia

Vessel Background and Construction
#

The Gullen of Ayr was a wooden brig of approximately 400 tons burthen1, named for its port of registry in Ayr, a seaport on the west coast of Scotland2. Contemporary accounts from its wreck describe the brig’s timbers as solid oak, indicating a sturdy British-built merchant vessel. While the exact shipyard and launch date remain uncertain, evidence suggests the Gullen was built in the 1820s or 1830s and employed in long-distance trade within the British Empire2. Its designation “of Ayr” implies Scottish ownership or registry, and Lloyd’s Register entries of the era likely listed the Gullen as a Clyde or Ayrshire-based brig engaged in commerce. By 1841 the vessel had made voyages into the Australasian region, possibly to capitalise on the timber trade. Indeed, on its final voyage the Gullen was laden with timber – most likely valuable red cedar or hardwood from the colonies – hinting that it had come to the Moreton Bay frontier specifically to load a cargo of wood. This trade brought the Gullen far off its usual routes and into the waters of what is now Queensland.

Crew and Notable Passengers
#

Little is known about the people aboard the Gullen of Ayr. No passenger lists or crew rosters have survived in Australian records, and the names of her captain and sailors remain lost to history. Crucially, no survivors from the wreck ever came forward to tell the tale. The absence of colonial reports in the 1840s suggests that the entire crew perished or disappeared without reaching any settlement. Contemporary newspapers and government gazettes of New South Wales (which then encompassed Queensland) make no mention of the Gullen’s loss, implying that no official report was filed at the time. Likewise, there is no record of notable passengers aboard – it appears the brig was a typical working merchantman rather than a transport for well-known figures. The fate of the crew has been reconstructed only from local lore: decades later, Aboriginal elders around Southport recounted that no white men were seen alive at the wreck site after the disaster. All evidence indicates the Gullen’s complement met a tragic end, leaving behind only the silent remains of their ship.

Final Voyage and the Sinking (1841)
#

The Gullen of Ayr’s last voyage culminated off the southern Queensland coast in 1841. Based on later investigation, the brig had loaded a heavy cargo of timber (possibly cedar logs) from a river in the Moreton Bay region – likely the Nerang River or nearby Tweed – and was preparing to depart when disaster struck. In the winter or spring of 1841, a severe south-easterly gale blew up along the coast. South-east gales are notorious for generating high surf and strong onshore winds, and the Gullen was caught in these dangerous conditions. According to early local witnesses, a “heavy south-easterly wind” drove the brig inexorably landward. The ship was blown ashore at the bar of the Nerang River (the entrance to the Broadwater), at a spot known thereafter as Porpoise Point on Stradbroke Island. In a desperate effort to save their ship, the crew cut away the masts – a classic emergency measure to lighten a vessel and prevent capsizing. Despite this, the Gullen grounded bow-first on the sand. The hull stranded with such force that the bow was left pointing inland, firmly embedded in the sandbar.

Helpless against pounding surf, the Gullen soon broke apart. We have no firsthand account of the crew’s last moments, but the ferocity of the storm and the remote, surf-swept location bode ill. Local Aboriginal people later observed the wreck and saw no survivors, indicating the crew likely drowned in the attempt to reach shore or were swept out to sea. Mrs. Graham, a Southport local born in the 1850s, recalled Aboriginal elders saying a ship was “blown ashore” in a gale and that this event had occurred within their own memory (i.e. in the early 1840s). Tellingly, no rescue or salvagewas ever recorded – the Gullen of Ayr simply vanished from the horizon, its fate unknown to the wider world.

Contemporary Records and Reactions
#

At the time of the wreck in 1841, Queensland was sparsely populated and still a frontier region of New South Wales. There were no newspapers or official harbormasters in Moreton Bay documenting such incidents then. Consequently, the loss of the Gullen went largely unremarked in colonial press and government documents. Sydney newspapers in 1841–42 make no mention of the vessel’s disappearance, which is unsurprising given that no survivors or debris reached colonial authorities. It appears the brig was simply listed as missing or never reported at all. Decades later, historians would note that “no records exist in Queensland” showing a ship named Gullen being lost on that coast. This lack of archival record led to considerable mystery about the identity of the Southport wreck for many years. In fact, when the remains were first examined, some speculated it might be a much older wreck. In August 1922, as the buried hull was exposed by shifting sands, locals wondered if it could be Matthew Flinders’ long-lost ship_Porpoise_ (wrecked in 1803) since the location was coincidentally called Porpoise Point. Early reports in 1922 (even picked up by a Reuter’s telegram) noted this theory, given that the wreck appeared “considerably over 100 years old” to some observers. However, this idea was soon dismissed once more evidence came to light.

Rediscovery and Identification of the Wreck
#

The story of the Gullen of Ayr was truly pieced together in the years after its wreck, through occasional sightings and a rediscovery eight decades later. The stranded brig was first seen in 1841 by a cedar-getter, Mr. W. Smith, and an Aboriginal companion nicknamed “Jack in the Box,” while they were crossing the bar of the Nerang River. Smith viewed the wreck from a distance – a broken vessel stranded on the Stradbroke Island beach – but did not approach it. The following year (1842), curiosity seekers made a closer investigation. A shipbuilder named Farrier (sometimes spelled Ferrier) and his assistant Ned Harper trekked from the Tweed River up to the site specifically to inspect the mysterious wreck. They found the hull relatively intact and were able to make out the name on the stern: “Gullen, (of) Ayr.” The men noted the vessel was a brig of about 400 tons, still carrying a load of timber inside. They observed that the masts had been cut away, confirming that whoever crewed the brig had attempted to save her during the gale. Farrier and Harper’s identification provided the key clue to the ship’s identity, but at the time their discovery remained local lore rather than widely published information.

Over the ensuing decades, the wreck of the Gullen gradually disappeared beneath the shifting sands of the barrier island. By the late 19th century, there were no obvious remains visible; the existence of the wreck survived only in the memories of a few old Southport residents and Indigenous locals. Then, in 1922, nature revealed the brig’s skeleton once more. Heavy seas and erosion at the mouth of the Nerang River uncovered part of the old hull, sparking a wave of local excitement. The Brisbane Courier reported in August 1922 that “the wreck on Stradbroke Island which was uncovered by the sea last week has been identified as that of the Gullen, of Ayr, first seen in 1841”. An inspection was organized by the Queensland authorities: Captain C. F. Forester (the Portmaster) and Mr. Thomas Welsby, a noted historian, traveled to the site to examine the remains. They confirmed that the wreck was not centuries old (as the Flinders theory had suggested) but rather a mid-19th-century ship. The size of the keel and frames matched a ~400-ton vessel, and samples of metal fittings recovered were of a type manufactured only since the 1830s. These findings “considerably cleared” the question of the wreck’s age and origin. In fact, Ned Harper’s long-ago reading of the name was remembered: local Aboriginal elders still living in 1922 recalled that this was the very wreck Harper and Farrier had visited in 1842, and that she was certainly the same one known as the Gullen. Thus, the Southport mystery wreck was conclusively linked to the brig Gullen of Ayr lost in 1841.

Archaeological Findings and Modern Investigations
#

When investigators in 1922 revisited the Gullen’s remains, they found only a fragment of the hull still embedded in the sand. About 30 feet of the keel section was intact, broken into three large pieces. The bow and stern had largely disintegrated; at high tide the surf covered what was left of the bow, which pointed shoreward from where it had plowed into the sandbar. Much of the vessel had long since been torn apart by waves or buried. In fact, after Farrier’s 1842 visit, the wreck had been “cut about so much” by souvenir-hunters or timber salvagers that by 1922 it was almost level with the beach sand. Captain Forester noted that removing the sand would facilitate closer study, but also described the practical difficulties of excavation on a surf beach (dry sand endlessly slumps into any pit, and wet sand below the water table is equally unstable). Some small artifacts were recovered – for instance, fastenings and metal sheathing whose composition was analyzed by the Government Analyst to pinpoint the manufacturing date. These tests supported a construction or service date in the early 19th century (roughly 90 years prior, i.e. the 1830s). No significant cargo remained by 1922; presumably the timber cargo either floated off or rotted away over time. By comparing the site and recollections, Welsby and Forester became convinced that this wreck was indeed the Gullen of Ayr, ending any speculation that it was Flinders’ Porpoise or another vessel.

Since the 1922 rediscovery, the Gullen of Ayr wreck has been recognized as part of Queensland’s maritime heritage. The dynamic environment of the Gold Coast has continued to affect the site – the creation of the Jumpinpin Channel in 1898 (when Stradbroke Island split in two) altered tidal flows, and the Nerang River mouth migrated, at times burying and later exposing the wreck further. Today the remains of the Gullen lie in what is now the Gold Coast Broadwater, near the Main Beach/Seaworld area. The approximate location (about 200 meters off Sea World on The Spit) is known to local divers and fisherfolk. The site is protected under the Commonwealth Historic Shipwrecks Act 1976, which automatically shields shipwrecks older than 75 years from disturbance. Although little of the brig is left to see – mostly buried wooden structure and some corroded fittings – the Gullen of Ayr remains an intriguing link to the very early maritime history of Queensland. Modern historians and archaeologists regard it as Queensland’s oldest known shipwreck on record (since it wrecked well before the region’s official ports were established). Its story has been pieced together from archival fragments and the efforts of later investigators. From the construction of a stout oak brig in a Scottish shipyard, to a fateful encounter with a Moreton Bay gale, to its re-emergence in the 20th century as an “ancient wreck,” the Gullen of Ayr offers a compelling case study in historical sleuthing and maritime archaeology on Australia’s shores.

News articles
#

17 August 1922 - The Brisbane Courier - The Southport Wreck
#

The following article was from Trove’s archives1.

1922_08_17_the_brisbane_courier
The Southport Wreck, The Brisbane Courier, Thursday 17 August 1922, p.8

The wreck on Stradbroke Island which was uncovered by the sea last week has been identified as that of the Gullen, of Ayr, first seen in 1841, by Mr. W. Smith, who, in company with a blackfellow well known as “Jack in the Box,” was crossing the bar to work cedar on the borders of the Nerang Creek. Mr. Smith did not approach the stranded vessel. In the following year a Mr. Farrier (a shipbuilder) and Ned Harper, his assistant, journeyed from the Tweed especially to see the wreck. They made out the name of the vessel, which, as far as they could see, was a brig, laden with timber, of about 400 tons burden. The masts had been cut away, probably in an attempt to save the ship. The timbers, which, at first, it was believed were oregon, have been found to be oak, and since the discovery was made the wreck has been cut about so much that it is now almost level with the sand.

19 August 1922 - The Brisbane Courier - Wrecks on the South Port Coast
#

The following article was from Trove’s archives3.

1922_08_19_the_brisbane_courier
Wrecks on the South Port Coast, The Brisbane Courier, Saturday 19 August 1922, p.17

The giving up by the sea of an old wreck at the mouth of the Nerang River, which has been identified as the Gullen of Ayr, recalls other disasters which have occurred from time to time on the coast near Southport, Queensland.

A Spanish galleon is said to be situated in a swamp on Stradbroke Island and was located by Mr. Matt Hebe during a dry season. Mr. Heber took away an old anchor and some copper, which when shown to a Brisbane firm, was said to be of the very best quality. Later, in company with Mr. J. G. Appel, M.L.A., he again visited the place, only to find that an immense swamp enclosed the ship, effectively blocking any close approach.

As far as the memory of Southport residents extends, the first which ashore about 1875 opposite the Narrows, about a mile and a half southwards from the present position of the Nerang River bar. The Salamander was an iron barge of 200 tons, ketch rigged, and was a Sydney owned vessel. On her last trip she was sailing with a cargo of maize from the Tweed to Townsville, where she was caught in a southeasterly gale, and blown ashore in the night, so suddenly that there was no time to anchor. No lives were lost, the crew of eight, including the captain, and the mate, reaching the shore safely through the surf. There was no salvage, and the corn soon swelled and burst the decks. Soon the only part visible was the stern, which remained showing at low water, and then disappear under the sand.

Some few years afterwards in the late 1870s or early 1880s, an auxiliary paddlewheel steamer of 300 tons, named the Emma Pious, was blown ashore on the North Spit of Stradbroke. This boat was on a voyage from the Tweed to the North with a cargo of 400 bags of corn, and carried two fore and aft sails. Like the Salamander, she was a Sydney boat, but her fate was happier, for the cargo was discharged, and she contrived to get into deep water again. Mr. Rawlins, a Police Magistrate at Tweed Heads, little dreamed when he ordered his boat to be brought from Southport, a distance of only 20 miles, that he was enacting a part in a grim tragedy. W. Harper, “Alf the Saddler,” as he was called, and three blacks, set out down the Nerang River, and when on the bar, capsized. The boat came ashore on Stradbroke, but no trace was ever found of the crew of five men.

After sailing half round the world, braving storms and safely passing shoals and reefs innumerable, the Scottish Prince was taken unawares in a calm, and helplessly carried by an inshore current on to the mouth of the bar at the spot where the trees now come to an end on the Peninsula, opposite the Southport Hotel. One of the Shore Line of vessels, the Scottish Prince was built in Glasgow, and was a full rigged barque of 1800 tons. She was sailing from Sydney to Brisbane with a general cargo. She was built of iron and had iron masts. The cargo included a large consignment of drapery, of which several bales of blankets were saved, 500 sewing machines, and a quantity of galvanized iron. The hull broke up within a week under the heavy pounding of the surf. Two years afterwards, the sand had covered everything but the masts, and they rusted through, joining the ship in its final resting place.

A wreck which wrung the heart of many an old salt was that of the Bellenger, built in Australia on the Bellenger River. A 90 ton ship with a length of 100 feet, or more, and a beam of 25 feet, and ketch rigged, she was one of the fastest little boats on the coast. Time after time she won races in Sydney, and her certificates, by a stroke of irony, were hanging on the walls of her cabin when she was wrecked. At the time she had a cargo of cedar, much of which was saved, and she went ashore at Kuran (Cooran) on Stradbroke Island. Even then she might have been got off with her shallow draft of 4’ 6” but it was left too late, and a heavy sea broke her up. The Captain and Mate walked to Porpoise Point at the south end of Stradbroke to notify the authorities and secure assistance.

Far reaching in its disastrous effects on the waters of Southport and the bay was the loss of the Cambus Wallace, a barque rigged ship of 800 tons. A valuable cargo of printer’s paper, oil, and spirits, was lost, or partly so, or ruined by sea water. There were 4000 cases of whisky and a quantity of ironmongery. The barque was on a voyage from Liverpool to Brisbane and Moreton Bay. Five of the crew were drowned and their bodies washed ashore. A monument was erected by subscription and a broken spar and part of a wheel were erected over their grave on the terrace. Swan Bay at this place makes the distance from the ocean to the Bay very short, and here lies the tragedy of Southport. The figurehead of the Cambus Wallace is still standing near the Railway Hotel at Southport. Mr. Barney Boulton has the nameplate from one of the cabin doors. A man named Kirk bought the wreck, which by this time was partly covered with sand and to uncover his property, he blew up the ship with dynamite. This explosion caused a big hole.

There followed a big king tide and a heavy gale and the sea broke through. In a week, the passage was 100 feet wide; now it is at least three quarters of a mile wide and very deep. Like the Southport Bar, it is moving northwards and has almost obliterated Swan Bay. Thus was formed Jumpin Pin, or, as some aver is correct, Jum Bin Bin Bar.

Formerly about half the waters of Moreton Bay had their outlet at Southport, and their huge volume kept the inside waters free of sandbanks. Now that pressure has been in a large manner relaxed, consequent silting up has been going on at an alarming rate. To this diversion of bay waters may also be ascribed the cause of the northerly movement of the Nerang River entrance.

The bay waters flowing south washed the southern portion away because they constituted by far the larger volume. Now that the Nerang River is the larger body of water, the northside, of course, is being washed away. And if this movement continues, as it should, it will not be long before the old wreck just discovered at the mouth of the river is disclosed to view.

The Mystery was wrecked opposite the test house, and Browning (one of the coloured hands) placed a peg to mark the spot.

The Coral Queen was bringing a quantity of hardwood from the Nerang River, when a strong south-westerly wind blew her on to the Parrot Rock, near the Southport Pier, before she reached the sea. The aboriginals, of whom one or two still live at Southport, say that the recently discovered wreck was the Gullen, as far as they can remember, and declare that she is certainly the same as seen by Farrier and Harper in 1842. She was wrecked at Porpoise Point, the bar being then in its present position, and was often visited by the blacks. These natives came to the place on account of the fresh water mullet in a swamp which then extended inside the island. The swamp was at least half a mile wide, and had a fresh water creek running into it. Only the merest trace of it remains. Southport residents have been confusing the recently discovered wreck with that of the Coral Queen, which never reached the sea.

26 August 1922 - The Queenslander - The Sketcher
#

The following was from Trove’s archives4.

1922_08_26_the_queenslander
The Sketcher, The Queenslander, Saturday 26 August 1922, p.11

30 September 1922 - The Brisbane Courier - The Southport Wreck
#

Sources and References
#

Brisbane Courier (1922). “The Southport Wreck. Identified as the Gullen.” The Brisbane Courier, 17 August 1922, p.8. (Describes the wreck’s discovery in 1841–42 and identification as Gullen of Ayr, a brig of ~400 tons laden with timber).

Brisbane Courier (1922). “Wrecks on the Southport Coast.” The Brisbane Courier, 19 August 1922, p.17. (Historical article recounting the Gullen wreck and other local wrecks; confirms Farrier and Harper’s 1842 observation of the name and Aboriginal memories of the event).

Brisbane Courier (1922). “Southport Wreck – A Stranding of the Last Century.” The Brisbane Courier, 25 August 1922, p.4. (Report of official inspection by the Portmaster and Thomas Welsby; discusses the wreck’s age, construction, and the theory about the name, as well as local oral history of the wreck).

The Queenslander (Brisbane) – Sketcher column (1922). Illustrated feature, 26 August 1922, p.11. (Provided a sketch and narrative of the wreck’s uncovering; captioned as the vessel “first seen in 1841” and supposed to be the Gullin of Ayr).

The Ballarat Star (Victoria) (1922). “An Ancient Wreck – Believed to be Flinders’ Ship.” 22 August 1922, p.1. (Early news telegram speculating the Stradbroke Island wreck was the 1803 HMS Porpoise, reflecting initial confusion prior to the Gullen’s identification).

Commonwealth of Australia (1976 & 2022). Historic Shipwrecks Act and EPBC Act Referral documents – Wonder Reef Permit Application (c.2022). (Lists the Gullen of Ayr wreck site in the Gold Coast Broadwater, ~200m off SeaWorld, as a protected historic shipwreck under Australian law).


  1. The Southport Wreck’, The Brisbane Courier, Thursday 17 August 1922, p.8. Viewed June 2025. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/20565830↩︎ ↩︎

  2. Southport Wreck – A Stranding of the Last Century’, The Brisbane Courier, Friday 25 August 1922, p.4. Viewed June 2025. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/20567307↩︎ ↩︎

  3. Wrecks on the South Port Coast’, The Brisbane Courier, Saturday 19 August 1922, p.17. Viewed June 2025. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/20566176↩︎

  4. The Sketcher’, The Queenslander, Saturday 26 August 1922, p.11. Viewed June 2025. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/27434923↩︎

Ben Henderson
Author
Ben Henderson
Think better. Every visit.